Tuesday, August 9

Stweetstyle

So, what do you wear to a NASA Tweetup? Personally the more pressing question was "How do you dress for Florida weather?" Because honestly, I had no idea. The temperatures rose to 40 centigrades when I was in DC last year, and I have suppressed all memory of it. I had to think of how to reduce the amount of sweat absorbed into my clothes, and the inevitable amount of sweat secreted in general. Kennedy Space Center requires long pants, closed-toe, flat shoes and no sleeveless whatevers for their operative areas, so on-site, the immediately obvious short summer dresses, or shorts with sandals, are not an option.

At the same time, this is a place for photo opportunities, and you'll be on NASA TV. Fashionista vs. geek conundrum. So how about we share some tips and tricks to be both comfortable, safe from stray, toxic splashes AND look decent when posing next to the countdown clock, or Bill Nye "The Science Guy"? And last but not least, to send Juno off in style?

My original Tweetup packing list. Revisions: if I could change anything, it might be the shoes. I should probably have gone for something in fabric or canvas, like plimsolls.

– Long, beige slacks with rolled up hems.The fabric is really light and soft.
– An airy, short-sleeved cotton blouse. Let there be drafts, and no fabric stuck to your underarms.
– A cotton cardigan, for air conditioned environments. (Did not need this on the "air conditioned" tour bus that wasn't air conditioned at all).
– Ballerina flats. They got really hot and smelly. Band-aids were also a life saver, as my feet get blisters if I as much as look at a pair of shoes.
– Straw hat, covering up that head, avoiding that heat stroke.
– Drop the perfume, bring on the bug spray. From what I've heard, the unofficial state bird of Florida is the mosquito.
– A big tote-bag for easy access to your electronic gear, all marked with name tags, of course.
– Other forms of sun protection: sunglasses and sunscreen lotion. I tanned more at the press site than I have done all summer in Norway, and I love my sunscreen lotion (just make sure you get some vitamin D before you put it on).

What did other people wear?
Appropriately, one trend emerging in the world of fashion right now, is star patterns. There were a lot of space-themed tees in the Tweetup tent, almost to the point of confusion, when you no longer knew who was actually working for NASA and who was just wearing the same embroidered polo shirt, bought in the KSC Visitor Complex' gift shop. These people are BIG on logos. Other recurrent trends were burgundy Juno Tweetup badges on turquoise ULA lanyards, various geek gear (some may have been surgically attached to their Tweeting devices) and red and blue 3D glasses. Indeed modern technology trickles into the world of streetwear. However, the fogged glasses that were worn by many outside is the most impractical trend since too tight pants or Marie Antoinette's panier underskirts.

The "operative area" outfit, inspired by Japanese tourists (I am pretty much at eye level with the Juno probe here. Behind the bug-eyed sunglasses that is):


Lovely ladies in 3D glasses:


…hell, let's get a room full of people in 3D glasses!

IMG_2916
Photo by jsmjr.


Matching in turquoise in the VAB. Accessorised with smartphones:


Full on Juno gear! I'm jealous. She wears the all out fashion themes better than Lady Gaga:


Bill Nye, a true trendsetter as far as bowties go:


And this is my outfit for flying home, inspired by the space shuttle. The tote bag is from the gift shop at KSC, one of the nicest souvenir bags I have seen. This one can actually be worn without feeling too dorky. Keyword: too:

1 comment:

  1. I saw this blog after finding a link to it on 50watt and was blown away to find this post. I work with Doug Ellison (energetic and British), who was one of the tweetup organizers.

    Anyway, I just wanted to share the coincidence and say that I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete