Friday, November 5

(this time around)

According to Johan Harstad in today's Klassekampen (NO), the era of albums is over; you don't buy the records anymore, but you download singles from iTunes and make playlists in Spotify. And before I can determine either "yes" or "no" I was caught up in the strong associative content of music, how each song and album has intrinsic links to a book or a place or a person.

Last night (this took me by complete surprise, I found out the same morning) The Radio Dept. played a gig in Oslo, and I don't think there is any other band that has such a strong associative effect on me. Every song jolts you elsewhere, a million possible outcomes in every sound; eyes closed/open, smiling, crooked disappointment, trance-like. Even if they only played for an outrageously short 50 minutes and omitted 'David', it felt special, it's been two years since I had a ticket to see them in my hand and couldn't go after all.

This song is walking home in the middle of the night, drunk, disappointed and angry.


This song is the flat, obliquely lit landscapes of Flanders and Northern France, and the only song that made you feel good this summer.


This song is St. Petersburg and wet snow in November.


This song is meeting someone for the first time.


This song is just trying to come into existence from tepid, dense winter.


This is misplaced devotion.


This song is hot, lazy summers in Ukraine.


This song is just here and now.


(Youtube sound quality is kind of shit so you should buy follow Johan Harstad's example and buy the albums and cherish them like you cherish your books).

4 comments:

  1. Whoa, The Radio Dept. are really good. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, I loved listening to your memories. I have to get more into Radio Dept. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooooveeeeeee thhhiiisssss baaaaaannnnddddd. Yep.

    ReplyDelete