Friday, March 19

Khitruk - The Man in the Frame

SOYUZMULTFILM, who made all the famous Soviet cartoons, has its own youtube-channel!

"The Man in the Frame" by Fyodor Khitruk (born Labour Day in 1917, before it was uniersally known as Labour Day) from 1966 is actually quite funny, despite its overt symbolism. It's pretty daring for its time, both in visual language and subject matter. Unfortunately, I don't know much about its history.

As the protagonist grows increasingly important, I find that he looks quite like Mussolini; just when I was thinking that the style reminded me of the Italian cartoon about "the Line". There is something decidedly kafkaesque about it as well.



Khitruk went on to make the Vinni-Pukh cartoons; the Soviet adaption of Winnie the Pooh, and is also famous for Story of a Crime and Film, Film, Film.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!!
    I'm a super selfish crafter, haha, so I've never given much thought to sewing for others as a business, especially as I would probably only be able to sell things in my size, but you're just a bit smaller than me so it wouldn't be hard to re-create the blouse!

    Is your address still the same? The dress is going out by this weekend, I swear!

    ReplyDelete