Friday, May 29

Le sacre du printemps

On this day in 1913, Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring/Le sacre du printemps premiered at the Théâtre des Champs-Elysées in Paris, to the shock, dismay and subsequent revolt of its audience. (Vaslav Nijinsky, the choreographer, had to walk out in front of the stage and clap the beat with his hands, as the dancers couldn't hear the music through the shouting and whistling of the Parisians).



Stravinsky and I have a long history, starting from the clip with the dinosaurs from Disney's Fantasia, that thrilled my five-year old budding paleontologist. For the unfamiliar, the ballet has little to do with paleontology, but is based on a dream Stravinsky had about pagan Russia, and a young woman dancing herself in a ring of elders as a sacrifice for the spring gods.

Action and pictures speak louder than words; this is the first part of the Joffrey Ballet recreation - costumes, choreography and scenography based on the orginal:


Riot at the Rite is a 2005 BBC docudrama about the premiere, made with trademark BBC lavish. The entire film is viewable here.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I wish I could eloquently put this but omgomgomgomgomgomgomg! This ballet is my number one obsession of ballets! (and I love lots these days! XD) Have you any idea where I could actually buy it or download it? I NEED THID IN MY LIFE! Also omgomgomgomgomgomgggg! Thanks for the link to the docu! =D

    ReplyDelete