Monday, January 26

Mona Levin

One of my feminist heroes is Mona Levin.

We are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, but I admire her sharp tongue and how she dares say what no one else does. A theatre critic and former actress who fled to Sweden during the war to escape the Holocaust, she is today calling out on the racism and anti-semitism many people have a dangerously casual attitude towards. I think it's hard to know how hurtful it is to be judged and insulted because of your identity if it hasn't happened to you, be it once or a hundred times over. It's painful to see that basically healthy political debate in many fora often turns to blatant flaming, based on shallow assumptions of religious and ethnic backgrounds.

I also admire her strong voice & wit, a predicament for having made herself heard in a society often unavailable to women.
(I feel that I need to say that yes, she's been around for that long, but she is obviously blessed with a never-changing face, like that of Akhmatova).

1 comment:

  1. I had never heard of her before... she seems fabulous. I'll have to look into her.

    ReplyDelete