Monday, December 22

Snegurochka



The origin of my blog's name comes from a young woman from Russian fairytales. There are many versions of the story, but most people agree that Snegurochka - the Snow Maiden - is the daughter of Father Christmas (or Father Frost in Russian) and Spring, and made out of snow. She lives an isolated life, but when she discovers the outside world and is given the ability to love, she melts.

Her character became popularised in the national romantic art movement of the late 1800s, which displayed a growing fascination for folklore. Artists like Nesterov, Vasnetsov, Vrubel and Bilibin painted her imagined likeness, Ostrovsky wrote a play, Petipa a ballet and Rimsky-Korsakov an opera based on the myth.

In 1952 an animated feature length film was made by I. Ivanov-Vano, based on the play, with Rimsky-Korsakov's music, and with the most wonderful animation I have ever seen, rich and brilliant in tune with the holiday season (by Hollywood tradition painted on top of live images). Even if you don't speak Russian, (which doesn't really matter as this is wonderful for the eye and ear per se) I wholeheartedly recommend taking ten minutes out of your schedule to watch the opening sequence.



And with that I hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing holiday.

1 comment:

  1. hi snegurochka! thanks a lot for your comment, it was wonderful, and give me a lot of strength-

    yes, i didnt think on it when i made it but a friend told me the same: it is the little prince, but grown up. The little prince as a young men, and now i like my illustration much more than before.

    Your blog is so nice, and i LOVE russian animation of the 50's.
    I hope you had Happy Christmas and i wish you a fantastic new year

    ReplyDelete