Saturday, November 22

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The other day I finished reading Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I remember seeing the film many years ago, only to find it a bit dull. Also, the character of Holly Golightly is incredibly downplayed in the cinematic adaption. I imagined her to be more of a Jean Seberg-sort of girl, Audrey Hepburn's gentleness doesn't really reflect the lost misery of Holly. It is a sad story, there is nothing admirable about Holly Golightly, she is stuck in childhood, her own bubble of desolation -- she is stranded in the vast expanses of her own imagination, a sort of sexual vortex. And how can we not fall in love with her, too.

Capote might have seen himself in the role of doe-eyed, crop-haired, promiscious Holly.

And what girls wore their hair short in the 1940s anyway?

But I really did enjoy the book.

2 comments:

  1. it is a great book. one of my favourites. capote is one of my favourite writers, for all that. and audrey is great, but she is just not holly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. История Игрушек мультфильм / Toy Story

    ReplyDelete